Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Most Effective Way To Do Cardio, Take Two

I just read an article regarding the best method for doing cardiovascular training ( I sent it via email to many people, if I missed you let me know and I will send it to you).  The article basically confirmed that the most effective way to do cardiovascular exercise is by using interval training.  Please see my previous post for more on interval training.

I want to again recomend that your aerobic exercise incorporates interval training, and I want to go a step further by recomending that you train aerobically at high intesities.  If you have a heart rate monitor stop using it to stay in your "target zone".  Use your monitor, or if you don't have a monitor use your breathing, to make sure you are doing intense cardio.  Breath hard and sweat!

By using intervals and higher intensity you will burn more calories during exercise, burn more calories following exercise, strengthen your heart more, and burn more calories the next time you exercise (since you have made your heart stronger you can work harder and burn more calories).  Basiclly you will become a calorie burning machine!



     

  

2 comments:

  1. My heart rate monitor died about 6 months ago and I haven't wanted to put money into a new one..I must say that I have seen better results not having one. I'm not always looking at my zones or cal burn. I do interval training on Weds, maybe I should add another session a week.
    Great information!! Thanks for your expertise Trav!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest more frequent intervals. It can be something as simple as working all out for 20 seconds every 2 minutes on your regular cardio. Something to shake it up, increase the intensity, burn more cals, stregthen the ticker!

    ReplyDelete